Dec 25, 2019 Unhide Files on Mac with Terminal You can also use Terminal commands to show hidden files in Mac operating system. You can open Terminal from Launchpad or open it from Finder - Applications - Utilities. Mar 12, 2015 iDownloadBlog (iDB) was founded in May 2008 as a weblog focused on delivering Apple news, reviews, editorials as well as guides and tutorials about the iPhone, iPad, everything iOS, and Mac. Ever since Lion (OS X 10.7), Apple has hidden your personal Library folder (/Library) by default. In Lion and Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8), you could make the folder visible, but it required some work. To hide the /Library folder, use the following Terminal command. Chflags hidden /Library. Press enter or return. Note: If you had a Finder window open on your home folder, you may still see the Library folder listed. The Finder window needs to be refreshed to bring it up to date. Dec 12, 2016 And remember, the system level /Library folder is different from the user level /Library. How to Access User Library in MacOS Mojave, macOS Catalina, and MacOS Sierra. If you don’t need to constantly show the /Library folder on the Mac, you can just access it when needed by using the “Go” menu. To unhide your Library folder in macOS Sierra, launch Finder and navigate to your user Home folder (you can jump directly to your user folder by select Go Home from the Finder’s menu bar. Jan 12, 2020 Apple hides the Library folder by setting a file system flag associated with the folder. Any folder on your Mac can have its visibility flag turned on or off; Apple just chose to set the Library folder's visibility flag to the off state.
- How To Unhide Files In Download Folder
- Cmd Unhide Folder
- Unhide Library Folder Mac Mojave Ca
- Unhide Library Folder Mac Mojave Drive
- Mac Os Unhide Folder
- Unhide Library Folder Mac Mojave 2017
There can be hundreds of reasons why we need to hide certain files on the Mac computer, either for privacy or for security. Your Mac also has its secret files to hide, which are usually the system data like the application support files, other access and preferences information, for example, the ~/Library folder.
Those files or folders are hidden by default for Mac's smooth running, but in case you need to view them for examining or repairing, here we will offer you several methods to show the hidden files and folders on Mac, which can work on macOS Mojave, macOS High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, Yosemite, and more.
Just a head-up: you should make sure that you know what you are doing when making changes to those system hidden files, or else changing important system files could cause trouble to your Mac.
Method 1: See Hidden Files and Folders on Mac with Shortcut
One of the simplest ways to view the hidden files/folders on Mac is using the keyboard shortcut to reveal the hidden files. But this method requires you remember the saving path of them.
Access hidden ~/Library folder with shortcut
Step 1: Open Finder.
Step 2: Expand the Go menu.
Step 3: Press Option and the Library folder will be revealed.
See other hidden files/folders with shortcut
Step 1: On the Finder menu, click on Go > Go to Folder….
Step 2: Type in the saving path that you put the secret files/folders in, as well as the file name, for example, '~/Desktop/SecretFiles'. And then hit the Go button or press Enter key.
Step 3: Open Finder window, click on a different folder first.
Step 4: Click on the folder you saved the secret files, and then press Command + Shift + Period ('.') key. Then the hidden files will appear. (Note: most of the default hidden files are named starting with a '.'.)
Method 2: Show Hidden Files in Finder with Terminal
How To Unhide Files In Download Folder
If you don't remember, or don't know the exact path where the secret files are, you can access them through Terminal:
Step 1: Launch Terminal by searching it in Spotlight, or from Finder > Utilities.
Step 2: Type in: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE. Click Enter. Then type: killall Finder. Click Enter.
Step 3: Right-click on the Finder icon in the Dock, and choose 'Hide'.
Step 4: Click on Finder icon again to launch it. All the hidden files/folders, no matter the system ones or those you hid them deliberately, are supposed to show up now. Locate the one you are looking for.
TIP: After checking the secret files, if you want to hide them back again. In the Terminal window, execute these two commands and then the secret files/folders will vanish again as you wish.
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
Method 3: Unhide Hidden Files with Terminal
If you once hid certain files in Terminal with the command containing 'hidden', to unhide them is quite simple:
Reveal library folder mac sierra vista. Step 1: Open Terminal window and type in 'chflags nohidden '. Don't forget a space after the last word.
Step 2: Drag and drop the hidden files/folders to the Terminal window.
Step 3: Press Enter key to run the command. And then you'll find the previously hidden data is visible now.
Another way is to go back to the earlier hidden command and revise it:
Step 1: In the Terminal window, press the up arrow key to scan all the previous commands.
Step 2: Locate the earlier hidden command. Press the left arrow key to move to the word 'hidden' and change it to 'nohidden '. Again, don't forget the last space.
Step 3: Hit Enter key to run it.
Method 4: Reveal Hidden Files/Folders Using Hidata (If you hid them on Hidata before)
If you used Hidata to hide secret files before, this smart Mac data management tool can also help you unhide them back easily:
Step 1: Click on Hidata icon to launch it.
Cmd Unhide Folder
Step 2: Enter the password and press Enter key to unlock.
Step 3: All the hidden folders will show up in the left side-bar. Locate the secret file(s) you want to unhide.
Step 4: Click on the blue circle icon at the far-right side of the file name. Toggle it from blue to grey. When it is blue, the file will be hidden; while when it is toggled on grey, the hidden file will show up on your Mac normally.
There is also another more convenient way to show the hidden list in Hidata, as Hidata also has a shortcut in the menu bar:
Click on the Hidata shortcut.
In the pull-down dialog, enter your passcode and click the right arrow button to unlock it.
Here shows the list of all the hidden files on your Mac.
Click on the blue circle icon next to the file name. Toggle it from blue to grey in order to make the secret file(s) appear.
Do the methods above help you successfully discover the secret files/folders on your Mac? Any feedback or better solution is welcome to comment. If you find the guide useful, please give us a thumb-up and share it with more people!
- Hot Articles
- Top 5 Mac Cleaners in 2018
- 3 Must-have File Management Software for Mac
- How to Hide Photos on iPhone/iPad
- Startup Disk Full on MacBook Pro/Air, How to Clean Startup Disk
- What Are Hidden Files and How to View Hidden Files on Mac
- Mac System Storage Is Huge, How to Clear System Storage on Mac
- What Are Other Volumes in Container on Mac & How to Delete Them?
- How to Hide Folders on Mac Desktop
- Ultra-Safe to Hide Video on Mac Computer
- How to Password-Protect A Folder on Mac
- Hide and Unhide Files on macOS Mojave/Sierra
- 8 Ways to Keep Your Data Private on Macbook
What happens when you hide an item?
When you hide an item, it won't appear in your library on any devices that you use with your Apple ID, unless you already downloaded the item onto those devices.
If you use Family Sharing, family members won't see items that you hide, unless they downloaded the item before you hid it.
If you or a family member downloaded the item onto another device before you hid it, you can delete the item from that device. Learn how to delete music, movies, and TV shows or delete books.
Hiding an item doesn't hide the record of purchase. You can still see the item in your purchase history.
How to hide music, movies, and TV shows
- On your computer, open the Apple Music app, Apple TV app, or iTunes.
- In the menu bar at the top of your computer screen or at the top of the iTunes window, click Account, then click Purchased. (If you use Family Sharing, you might see Family Purchases instead of Purchased.)
- Depending on what you want to hide, click Music, Movies, or TV Shows at the top of the window, then click All. All of your purchased items appear.
- Find the item that you want to hide. Hold your pointer over the item until the hide purchase button appears. Click the hide purchase button .
How to unhide music, movies, and TV shows
To open the Apple Music app and sign in to your Account Information page, click this link: View My Account. Or follow these steps:
- On your computer, open the Apple Music app, Apple TV app, or iTunes.
- In the menu bar at the top of your computer screen or at the top of the iTunes window, click Account, then click View My Account.
- On the page that appears, scroll to the iTunes in the Cloud section. Next to Hidden Purchases, click Manage.
- Depending on what you want to unhide, click Music, Movies, or TV Shows at the top of the window.
- Find the item that you want to unhide, then click Unhide under it.
How to hide books and audiobooks
- Open the Books app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Tap Library.
- Tap the More icon below the book or audiobook that you want to hide. If the item is part of a series, tap the series, choose an individual book, then tap More .
- Tap Remove.
- Tap Hide Book or Hide Audiobook.
If you don't see Hide Book or Hide Audiobook, look for Remove Download, which removes the book from your device, or Delete Everywhere, which removes the book from iCloud and all your devices.
You can also hide books in the Books app on a Mac. Click Book Store, click Featured, click Purchased in the Quick Links on the right, then click All. Hover your pointer over a book and click the Hide purchase button that appears.
Unhide Library Folder Mac Mojave Ca
How to unhide books and audiobooks
- Open the Books app.
- Tap Reading Now.
- Tap the sign-in button or your photo at the top of the screen, then tap Manage Hidden Purchases.
- Find the item that you want to unhide, then tap Unhide next to the item.
Unhide Library Folder Mac Mojave Drive
To unhide books in the Books app on Mac, click Store > View My Apple ID, scroll to Hidden Purchases, then click Manage.
Mac Os Unhide Folder
Unhide Library Folder Mac Mojave 2017
- You can also hide and unhide apps.
- Or you can delete apps from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- Hiding an app doesn't cancel a subscription. Learn how to view, change, or cancel your subscriptions.